Friday, January 8, 2010

Certification -- The Quest for Understanding...

On Tuesday I asked the question with regard to the 4 certifications (CE, CEAS, Provisional and Standard) per 18A Statutes,  if the slide they shared indicates that these certifications entitle persons to be employed as a Teacher within public schools -- then why are they being interchanged in our conversation about Supervisor, Administrators, Principals and CSAs (all under the umbrella of SCHOOL LEADERS).

The attorney opted to answer and said that 18A covers Teaching Staff Members and is not necessarily specific to the position of a "Teacher" and the statement on the slide is very likely (not absolutely) a typo.

So can someone explain to me the following Statute and its purpose:

SCHOOL LEADERS’ OVERVIEW

All candidates for certification as School Leaders, except as indicated in N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12.7, must hold a Master's or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university. The following endorsements are available:


6A:9-12.4 School Administrator
6A:9-12.5 Principal
6A:9-12.6 Supervisor (Standard only)
6A:9-12.7 School Business Administrator


(c) The Supervisor Endorsement is required for both supervisors of instruction and athletic directors who do not hold a standard principal's endorsement. The supervisor is defined as any school officer who is charged with authority and responsibility for the continuing direction and guidance of the work of instructional personnel. This endorsement also authorizes appointment as an assistant superintendent in charge of curriculum and/or instruction.

Would this NOT be the type of certification the young ladies were denied? And if so, then why did we completely skip over this conversation? It would seem to me that if clarity in policy and process is what this Board was after with this meeting, then they would have included information in this area of POLICY.  So, the question that begs to be asked is...who decided what the TOPICS would be and why? The certainly used soft references to the Floridian issue when it benefitted their messaging -- so again why the oversight.

It seems from what I'm gathering that the certification discussion was focused on those persuing "teaching" position which is NOT where this district is having issues.  On the contrary WE need to understand the policies and statutes for SCHOOL LEADER Certification.

Can we have a REDO?  Who should I call?

I'm still crafting my questions to the NJSBA representative who was here on Tuesday as well as the BOE President and CSA...shoot me any questions you'd like me to ask specific to certification and current circumstances without MENTIONING the TWO Floridans Borge and Kelly by name...OK.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Florridans do not have supervisor certification, they should by no means have the positions that they hold. They are instructing certified personal(which you must have at least a superivisor's certification) on how to instruct and how to analyze data, etc. They are also included in the district walk throughs were they tell us what we are doing right and wrong and how to correct it. Sorry, but I had to earn my master's degree and take classes that taught me how to do those things for other staff members.
This district has created the title of coordinator as a way to give individuals leadership positions without proper certification or a pay scale and often more pay then Vice Principals. Looking at the new organizational chart these Floridians report directly to the Superintendent. Why? The question to be asked and the wrong to be righted is; why do they hold these postions and why has the state not demanded that they are let go immediately???????

RASRAHMATAZ said...

My understanding is that was they were removed from their original positions, however what is being side stepped and substituted is the pretense that they have certification...We get that! What I want them to know is certification in "WHAT" and "FOR" what. This is were the District stands behind that nonsense "personnel personal issue" which is totally unacceptable. As the public I am asking if these two ladies are appropriately certified to be in the positions they are in. It's NOT about the titles these ladies hold but rather the RESPONSIBILITIES of the JOB... Get an answer...the right answer to the Right QUESTION is like herding friggin CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Renata,

If it is determined that the certifications they CURRENTLY have is not good enough for the job descriptions they have and that we are paying them for, then Gallon will do what he has done 3 times already...change their job descriptions again!

I would love to have a job where my boss "creates" a job description based upon my qualifications, instead of me being the best, most-qualified candidate! Just my humble opinion though.

Laura

Maria Pellum, Plainfield Resident said...

Hi Renata, good morning,

You can opt to get your answer from the State directly. File an OPRA, on line, requesting their certification, the denial letters with the requesting needed classes for the certification they apply for, the Records Custodian will get back to you letting you know whether your request can be granted or not, the cost for such documents, no more than $5-10, and they will even mail them to you. To get the OPRA request just go to the Dept. of Ed' bottom page, left hand side. Why sweat it with the district when you can get the answer somewhere else? The State is also very quick to respond. Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

The use of coordinator is nothing more than the "coach title" in the past. What everyone needs to understand is that UNLESS you have a Supervisory Certificate,you are NOT to be evaluating anyone or anything. You can coach, but you cannot evaluate, a teacher, a school whatever.

RASRAHMATAZ said...

Laura -- that DOES seem to be the case; and it must be nice to be that qualified that your boss would employ "whatever means necessary" to keep you employed.

Thanks Maria -- I was hoping to play the transparency, partnership, community involvement, building relationships card...but looks like they want to work a sistah and OPRA might have been the "onliest" way. I resent having to spend my $$$ given I'm already spending my $$$ on them!

I do know what kind they have already. They are Standard Certs. I want to hear THEM say it...
I work from a source of facts outward and then I give THEM the opportunity to tell the truth or spin it.

On Tuesday their little slide boxed them in to a TEACHER's position ONLY, however the Lawyer aptly worked around it...

In actuality it only allowed me to springboard onto the next relevant topic -- School Leader requirements.

Anonymous said...

Renata,

I always enjoy reading your blog postings (and responses).

It's a tragedy that you have more relevant, candid discussions and ask more questions than 7 of the current board members.

Please tell me you will have a team of like-minded individuals who will run in the Spring Election.

The status quo is UNACCEPTABLE!

NO INCUMBENT with the exception of Mrs. Wilma Campbell should even think about running again.

THEIR RUN IN THE SUN IS DONE!

RASRAHMATAZ said...

LOL Anon 2:33 -- I like that tagline!!!

I'm glad you enjoy my postings and responses as I enjoy writing them. I will tell you - -I am certrainly working on pulling together individuals who are independent-thinker, conscientious community members and ready to move our district forward. I'll stay away from the word "team" because whoever remains on the Board "WHEN I'M ELECTED" will be part of the same team -- otherwise we will all be wasting our time.

Thank you for your readership and STAY TUNED!

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved