Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Humor Me...

When I was a little girl I often puzzled over my name, its origin and quite frankly "why me".  I mean my Mom's name was Cheryl, my Dad is Art, and my sisters are Michele and April.  So just where in the world did Renata come from (and that's a fitting question for both the name and the person)!  I would later learn that my God Mother (Aunt Marian) named me after a very good friend who was German.

I spent the next 28 years believing my name was German.  Then while attending a professional development class and participating in an icebreaker I would learn there was more to the story.When it came my turn to tell the history of my name I blurted out it was German, and I was immediately corrected by this charming woman with a very heavy accent,  that in fact,  my name is Polish.  Realizing the close proximity of Germany and Poland I decided it was just too close to argue -- so I conceded that perhaps it was also Polish.

Fast forward 15 more years and as I go on living my life thinking my name had both German and Polish origins I find out --ut-oh -- my name is actually Italian. WHAT in the WORLD -- YOU say!  I argued it was German and Polish as that is what I had been told and later read about myself. I was sent to a website to verify the Italian root but I didn't bother going to check because I KNEW the origin of my name.  I mean I had it for 43 years. 

Doesn't everyone at some point in time look up their name's origin and meaning. As I remember it was an assignment when I was in the 7th grade, and I also remember having a very difficult time finding my name in our school's set of reference books so I ended up having to go to the public library.  Computers had not yet hit the scene!

Well here's the facts:

Renata - Origin and Meaning of the name
Latin (Born Again; Rebirth)

[ 3 syll. re-na-ta ] The girl name Renata is pronounced as RahNAATah †. Renata is used predominantly in the Czech, German, Italian, Polish, and Spanish languages.

Just as I've always suspected -- I am a league of nations!


Humor Me... check out your own name origin and let me know what you get!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsay (Old English) Lincoln's wetland, Lincoln's island

I didn't appreciate the fact I was named Lindsay and this definitely confirms it....

[ 2 syll. lin-(d)say, li-nds-ay ] The girl name Lindsay is also used as a boy name, though it is far more popular for girls. It is pronounced LIHNDZiy †. Lindsay has its origins in the Old English language. It is used largely in English and Scottish. The name Lindsay means 'Lincoln's wetland, Lincoln's island'. From the word ey which is of the meaning 'island'. The name is from the Scottish family name, which is itself derived from an Old English place name from Lindsey in Lincolnshire. The surname was borne by Sir Walter de Lindesay, one of the followers of King David I of Scotland; he lived in Lindsey, Lincolnshire before taking the name to Scotland. The first name was adopted by English speakers from the 19th century, and it was mostly a male name then; today in Scotland, the name is still used as a boy's name.

RASRAHMATAZ said...

I've always loved the name Lindsay!

Anonymous said...

Lisa - Origin and Meaning of the name (Hebrew)God is perfection, God is my oath

Used to think my name was kinda blah, but knowing the meaning makes it pretty cool!

[ 2 syll. li-sa, lis-a ] The girl name Lisa is pronounced LIYSah †. Lisa's language of origin is Hebrew, and it is predominantly used in Albanian, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, and Scandinavian. Biblical name: The name first developed as a diminutive of Elisabeth. It is famous from the 16th-century painting Mona Lisa, a portrait of Lisa del Giocondo (1479-1542/1551) by Leonardo da Vinci.

RASRAHMATAZ said...

What an absolutely honorable name - Lisa!

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved