Friday, February 26, 2010

Hey Maria...

(My PC won't let me post this in the comments section (intense POP-up Blocker/Spyware Program) and I don't feel like going downstairs to use the other one.) So -- to Maria's comments and question -- here goes:

They all did say choking but none indicated that it was as we would traditionally think of...so I think it was clear it was not the kind that prevents someone from breathing ergo necessitating aid from anyone in the room. I heard 3 testimonies refer to a massaging episode as PART of the act and 1 as the act in and of itself. (Goes to show you -- 2 people --- 2 different messages received)

I however would NOT have gotten up to assist either.

As the act was described you would have had to have 'touched' your supervisor. Then you would have been sitting on the bench awaiting your trial for inappropriate touching.

Remember this wasn't about imminent DANGER, but rather inappropriate behavior. There is NEVER a reason for employee to employee touching without permission other than to defend/deflect a blow.

I cannot tell you how many meetings I've endured where something less than professional occurs and the meeting continues. Whether it was an inappropriate remark, gesture or what have you. In my opinion the situation did not require me to interfere, but it certainly warranted my written and/or verbal statement of the facts witnessed and as such support for my colleague.

I'm not convinced the meeting was ever jovial as only 1 out of the 4 referred to it in that manner.

Let's bottom line this...it was not the fault of Mr. Williamson or the people in the room -- the contact, situation and uncomfortable atmosphere created was the result of Ms. Kemp's inappropriate actions (period).  Nothing warranted it and nothing should excuse it.  To blame or even insinuate (as her attorney tried) that someone in that room was obligated to act in any manner other than how they did is Preposterous!
 
The event as describe by the witnesses during the trial indicated clearly that there was NO LATITUDE for anyone to act in any other manner than how they did -- least they be the ones on trial today!

2 comments:

Maria Pellum, Plainfield Resident said...

Renata,

I never said I would touch Ms. Kemp, I said I would had got up and aid Dr. Williamson, as in going to his side and ask him if he was OK and as if he needed anything to make him comfortable, perhaps even a glass of a water. Two people, two different approaches?

As for Ms. Kemp's actions, we agree, and I said it already once it was confirmed in court that she did touch Dr. Williamson. Touching in the office is just not appropriate, specially when it comes from your boss, and specially under the circumstances under which PPSD has been working since her arrival. And no one is excusing her behavior, as a matter of fact, if her appeal is lost she will pay a very high price: losing her entire professional career by this act alone. This by itself, regardless of who it is, is an expensive and sad lesson for all.

Anonymous said...

Maria, your approach could have gotten you fired. If you worked in the district or knew more about how AK & the rest of that crew operates you would know.

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved