Friday, March 20, 2009

Meet BOE Candidate #5

Patricia (Pat) Barksdale
(Incumbent)

Thank you for allowing me to share my interest to serve the students of our District. My name is Patricia Barksdale. I am:

  • A Plainfield Board of Education member since 2005
  • Past President and former Vice President, Plainfield Board of Education
  • School/Community Relations Chairperson
  • Board Liaison to the Plainfield City Council
  • Member New Jersey School Board Assn.; Legislative Committee Alternate
  • A Negotiations Committee member
  • A proud mother of three daughters who graduated from or currently attend Plainfield Public Schools
  • A member of Mount Olive Baptist Church
  • A licensed real estate professional
  • Alumna of Plainfield High School and University of Virginia
  • A member of various other committees and civic organizations
Since I have been on the Board of Education, some highlights of my service include:
  • Worked with the District to launch school pride and esteem-building initiative, “We’re Serious About Learning!”.
  • Established agreement with District Education Association to provide additional classroom instruction time to promote added student achievement; and maintain quality benefits for district employees while offering a savings to taxpayers.
  • Co-hosted with District, several parent and community forums to better engage and inform stakeholders of Plainfield Public Schools needs and resources
  • Testified on behalf of Plainfield Board of Education at Abbott Funding hearings.
  • Work with fellow board members to develop policy to support safe, efficient and effective operation of our schools.
  • Witnessing District-wide accomplishments and successful graduations of our high school students.

As a board member over the past several years, I have shown the ability to learn about school governance and make sound leadership decisions in the best interest of the district and our children. I have always believed in our ability to be successful. My leadership commitment and ability for the Plainfield Public School District has been evidenced by representation on the local, state, and national levels through discussion on funding, district status, curriculum and seeking out the best leadership and opportunities for our children.

I see some advancement, but know the continuance thereof requires concerned, committed, issue-focused leadership that I can provide to help encourage and support the advancement of our District. So I ask your support and vote for me, Patricia I. Barksdale (Line 1) and my other School Board Leadership Team Members, Joe Ruffin, Sr. (Line 4), Joanne Hollis (Line 6), and Tammy Westbrook (2 yr. term—Line3), whose primary agenda is building a legacy of success for our children. Thank you!

No comments:

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved