Monday, March 16, 2009

Meet BOE Candidate #1

Quahim (Terrence Williams)
"Move Plainfield Forward"


My name is Terrence "Quahim" Williams and I am a candidate for Plainfield Board of Education. I am running for a two year seat. The magic question is "why?" Well... since moving to Plainfield, a place where I taught 13 years ago, I have felt a need to get involved with the school system to "Move Plainfield Forward."As a candidate, my goals are to address issues related to safety at our high schools. I also would like to work with other stakeholders to invigorate the curriculum and introduce a vetting process for vendors who come to Plainfield to introduce new learning initiatives.

I would also work with the Board to improve communications with our community/residents about our schools' successes and failures so that the community can band together to make all of our schools better.

I am equally interested in working with parents, mentors, businesses, and educators so that we can all collaborate to lift the young people in our community.

I sincerely believe that these goals are a move in the right direction to "Move Plainfield Forward."

Today, I continue to teach in Newark, New Jersey. I bring nearly 17 years of teaching experience to the board. I am married (to a teacher) and have 3 children. I hold a BA Degree in Rutgers University in History, and a MA Degree in Political Science, also from Rutgers University. I am currently a student working toward an advance degree in Education Leadership and Policy.

Accomplishments
Teacher of the Month –Central High School, Newark (December, 2008)
Presenter, Podcasting, Bridging the Gap between Teachers and Students
Mentor, New Teachers at Central High School, Newark, NJ
Mentor, Student Teachers at Rutgers University
Coordinator, Student Voter Registration Campaign
Prudential Young Entrepreneur Program –Business Plan Winner (2005)

Affiliations
Teacher Leader, Newark Central High School
American Federation of Teachers
Graduate Student, Graduate School of Education, Rutgers University
Alumni, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Organization of African American Administrators
Association of Supervisor and Curriculum Development

I can be reached at 973.223.0336 or quahim@quahim.com. I am looking for support from all residents who would like to see change and benefit from it as well.

Note: I am posting these submissions in the order inwhich they were recieved. As you can see the content far exceeds the 75 word limit I originally requested, but because I think it's important that parents and community understand the candidates thoughts, passion and yes qualifications -- I felt it necessary and prudent to reproduce their submissions in its entirety. Consequently, because of the length -- I will only post 1 per day so that there is ample time for folks to read through the candidate's Bio.

1 comment:

This Is What I Think... said...

I like the idea of moving the meeting to various schools so that we can get stronger community participation. I think the meetings should be rotated and only at the Board of Ed, when there is a conflict with a program at one of the buildings.

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved