Wednesday, April 28, 2010

And the Answer Is...

I imagine some of you have been wondering exactly how this bold, outspoken blogger is going to continue writing so candidly during her Board appointment. The answer is simple, although not easily reached – I’m not. If you look at some of the local blogs over the past 2 weeks and did a search on my name you would most certainly obtain an inordinate number of hits. So just think – I haven’t even gotten into my SERVICE seat and already I’m so POPular…

I’ve been given advice (as we say in my neck of the woods -- up the ying yang), I’ve been issued threats (yep – unreal right!), I’ve been the subject of speculation, misrepresentation, mischaracterization and of course the subject of many hyperbolized situations and the target of anonymous consternation – and all before I’ve even had a chance to warm my seat at the TABLE.

I’ve also been extremely SUPPORTED and LOVED!!!

Well to avoid even the slightest hint of impropriety I think it prudent that I give up the keyboard during my term on the Board of Education. I’ll have to look for opportunities to write on behalf of the Board because when you love to write you can’t just NOT write!

In the meantime and in between time I’m turning over my blogging keys to an individual who I trust and love without reservation or limit. To someone who has a lot of oomph but not nearly as many years experience. Some folks call her MINI Me, some call her MiMi, I call her Lovey and she is none other than my daughter, Milani Anaise Hernandez.



So – I hope you will continue to log onto the blog to read and learn from the perspective of a 12-Year old Plainfield Public School Student. I won’t sensor what she writes, nor will I edit it. Instead I’m using this as a teachable moment to broaden her literary, research and writing skills as well as help to build character such as humanity, humility, compassion, community service and yes – passion.

I’m excited for the both of us as we venture into the area of personal growth, accountability and public service, and we both look forward to serving in our respective roles with honesty, integrity and a bit of humor.

See you at the table!

5 comments:

Dan said...

Renata -- If someone 'leaned on you' not to continue blogging, shame on them!

No elected official needs to give up the right to express themselves on matters of importance to the community -- witness the fact the four of our City Council members blog on matters of public policy of concern to residents.

Of course there are topics that are off-limits (stuff discussed in executive session), but every issue that comes before a public body on which an elected official will participate in discussing and acting on is fair game for blogging, too.

I see no reason for you to give up blogging; Plainfield will be the worse off if you do.

Rebecca Williams said...

Having your daughter write on the blog is a great idea, Renata. I would especially love to hear a young artist's perspective on arts and culture. I went to an arts high school myself (H.S. of Arts and Design in NYC), and as a burgeoning artist back then (writing, painting, film), I would have loved the opportunity to share--I look forward to reading her posts.

All best,

Rebecca

RASRAHMATAZ said...

Hey Dan -- I don't exactly allow folks to "lean on me" at all. It was a matter of wise council.

I will continue to write because I think the public needs to stay informed but it will take on a more "formal" approach as oppose to a "my view" in totality.

Stay tuned...

Thanks Rebecca -- I pray she does us proud!

Anonymous said...

Hey Renata,

Good luck, and much success to you and your daughter. A wonderful choice although some might disagree. As a mother and mentor I understand exactly the reason. I also agree with Dan as to Plainfield will be the worse off if you no longer blog. Be it may, whatever you decide I will continue to read, support, and keep you in my prayers as you have a difficult task before you, but I know you can handle it and will do the right thing for the children of Plainfield.

Keep your head up!!!

Jackie C

Anonymous said...

Hey Renata:

I took a social media course today for the public sector and it is recommended that folks in the public sector (ie BoE) blog to keep their constituents informed and to get their message out. Perhaps you can turn peptalk over to your daughter...but start a blog as a board member that is posted on the board website that keeps those of us that can't make the meetings informed. Just a thought! We sooooooo need to understand what is going on right now...leslie

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved