Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Testing, Testing 1, 2, Huh?

Parents as some of you (those with access to the internet at least) may know our children have been doing Acuity testing this week that will conclude tomorrow. Exactly which grades are involved – I do not know because I just found out today via my daughter (6th Grade) that they were testing. [According to my research it does appear this is a test geared towards grades 3-8; Algebra I preparedness for grades 6-12]

OK – so here’s the question(s) and please be honest – how many of you knew your child(ren) would be testing this week? And – how many of you understand what the Acuity (Assessment Management System) testing is all about?

This is a short post because right now – I’m just trying to wrap my brain around the pedagogical and communication style of this district. The children were off for a week... Return for a day and then go into testing the very next day. My child did not come home with any study materials for the week she was off --- did yours?

Parents I really need to hear from you. Please respond to the comments section of this post and tell me what you know about this testing.

Signed:
Curiouser and Curiouser

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Renata,

Sorry to hear you didn't receive any notification on this test. At Evergreen we did, we actually have some information posted in our PTO blog about it, kids got (4 grade that I know of, I'll find out if all 3, 4, & 5 grades did)a Test Sample Booklet, and we did have at our PTO meeting some conversation about it last night. I believe my Principal also mention the test at his monthly letter.

But, yes, communication at all levels and at all buildings needs improvement.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Maria Pellum

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was well publicized because the people who are serving as testing coordinators now (since they eliminated the coaches' positions) had to go for acuity training on Halloween. How's that for preparedness? They were also told that the booklets were not ready for pickup then so if they wanted to, they could pick up the tests during their days off and bring them back to the buildings since they were open Monday-Wednesday. No fault of the individual building principals, just another gaff on the part of the new administration. Get used to it because I don't think that the "noise" will be appreciated and things could get worse.

Anonymous said...

Did you know children were not allowed to use calculators?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes they were allowed to use calculators. The catch was only if the school had enough for all students.
Kids took it on paper and answer sheets will be scanned into the acuity website. This will produce immediate results. The test will give schools exact skill areas that each individual student is deficient or excelling (in relation to the NJASK skills that will be tested) . Its a great tool to use to differentiate instruction in the classroom.
Totally understand why your upset. If my kid was to be tested I would want to know. I would also request my childs results so I can better help him at home.

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved