Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fireside Chat : Questions From the Community: Part I

1. What will the candidates do to expedite the process (contract)?


a. Board members can only hold the Superintendent accountable for how he negotiates and cooperates with Board employees. Our legal responsibility is to approve the contract that the superintendent brings before the Board members. There is currently a Board member (Pat Barksdale) assigned as a liaison to Contract Negotiations and I would suggest that PEA members write her to share their concerns with regard to the lack of progress.

2. Why don’t we have a gifted program? Are you planning to have one?

a. Gifted programs have not been implemented as one might expect such as < see here >, but there are honors courses at the high school level. Additionally the creation of PAAAS was to address that student population that have an interest in the arts such as music, dance etc… as well as advanced academics.

3. Is the work sampling system going to be effective this year? Do you think it is a good system to have in our schools?

a. After speaking with some teachers there are concerns with the implementation of the program as oppose to the program merits itself. There are issues with the requirement for data input by the teacher which would be overwhelming in distract from instructional time versus administrative paperwork. Additionally, there has been no evidence of this program being effective in other districts which further adds to the concerns of teachers and parents alike.

4. Who is held accountable? There are too many mistakes being made without a lot of answers.

a. We are all accountable, but as to who is held accountable – that would depend on who believes that the state of Plainfield and the potential of Plainfield rest within their ability to get involved and make the necessary commitment to bring about change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renata,
1. I wanted to say how happy I am that you are running.
2. I wanted to point out some things about PAAAS. The idea of a school for the arts is a good one, but it hardly makes up for not having a gifted and talented program.
The art teachers at PAAAS are all excellent, but they were all at the high school last year. So, a kid interested in music, visual art, acting, or dancing would be very lucky to attend PHS because of the excellent faculty menbers.
Now I want to think about the kid who isn't interested in the arts, but is rather interested in science. This kid is out of luck. While there are some good science teachers at PHS, there is also no physics classes because there is no physics teacher. Even the honors classes are sub par because there aren't prope materials to conduct experiments and what not.
So my point is, we already had a great program for young artists by way of the excellent teachers at the high school. Now things are even better for the young artists. The young scientists of Plainfield were out of luck before PAAAS, and now they are still out of luck.
I think it would behoove this district to do something for the young scientists instead of the young artists who already had excellent programs at the High SChool.
There are tons and tons of science jobs out there. There arevery few jobs for artists.
I am more interested in hearing your thoughts on this then on seeing my comment online. Perhaps you could blog about your thoughts on what you would like to see done to benifit the young scientists of Plainfield.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous -- when I first started working on a gifted and talent program at Cedarbrook School 3 years ago it was because nothing existed for Elementary aged children. I understood, was lead to believe that the middle and high schools already had these programs. I would learn that in fact it did NOT exist. My goal was never to focus on the ARTS but rather Academia whether it be science, IT professional, mathematic etc. and INCLUSIVE of the arts.

The problem that existed and as you confirmed is that this was ONLY offered to HS students. So now as you’ve shared we have mediocre AP classes at the HS level, and no Arts program but at one schoo. I must, however correct you on one matter, PAAAS is more than ARTS focused -- it too offers academic rigor. This SHOULD BE a GIVEN at ALL PPS - -no matter what NAME they carry!

Dr. Gallon, did as he always has and apparently will continue to do -- He created HIS Vision of gifted and talented and conferred with whom he deemed necessary and appropriate. I was never sent a questionnaire about what I look for in a gifted in talented program and I don’t know of anyone who was asked, and I was on the record as asking for such a program. Wouldn’t one expect I would have been part of the conversation? Not exactly -- when they are too busy trying to figure out how to “stop” me as oppose to how to engage my interests. I marvel at this administrations but I won’t digress about that!

I jumped on this opportunity because at least my daughter would be (a)exposed to her passion (music) AND (b) higher order learning-- AKA -- a more rigorous curriculum.

I have and will always be a proponent for providing our children with INTELLECTUALLY stimulating and developmentally advanced educational opportunities in the ARTS and SCIENCE and MATH and INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY and any area that prepares our children to compete on a global scale.

I think PARENTS need to come to the BOE meetings and KEEP Coming until they get the TYPE/KIND of curriculum they want for the Children!

I appreciate your input -- KEEP IT Coming!

RASRAHMATAZ said...

Hey Anon Poster -- I'm not going to post your comment because I'm working this angle as part of my campaign strategy. If you have other pointers/insights you'd like to share email them to me directly at rannette439@verizon.net.

I thank you kindly and I'm excited to see someone who is focused on the same issues I am!

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous poster who responded to my comments about PAAAS. Thank you!
I am glad that Plainfied has PAAAS. Perhaps we can use it as a model to open up a science and technology academy in the future.

RASRAHMATAZ said...

Hey Anon -- that was me (Renata) who responded to your questions. My PC won't let me respond and my daughter's PC is acting up and not allowing me to us my Google ID.

So--I'm posting as ANONYMOUS too. LOL ;-)

Copyright © 2008-2010

All Rights Reserved